The third group of volunteers of Barev Trails eco-tourism development project has completed its work in Gndevaz village of Jermuk community
On May 26, 24 volunteers from Switzerland and Germany arrived in Armenia for a week to participate in the “BarevTrails” eco-tourism development project which took place in Gndevaz village of Jermuk community (Vayots Dzor region). The project was initiated by WWF Armenia and Swiss Wesser Foundation, supported by the “Trails for change” NGO.
The project is aimed at the development of ecotourism in protected areas and in the communities adjacent to the protected areas of Armenia.
During a week, together with 15 volunteers from Armenia, the group performed the following activities:
• built a 9 km hiking trail from Gndevaz to Kechut reservoir
• placed 32 informational signs describing the flora and fauna, as well as historical and cultural sites of the area
• implemented a complete marking of the trails according to the international standards
• constructed an eco-toilette
• constructed a camp area for the tourists.
Volunteers also had an opportunity to visit a number of historical-cultural sites and natural monuments, getting acquainted with Armenian culture and wildlife.